The first Democratic Primary Debates will be in June in Miami. The DNC established clear rules for which candidates for the 2020 Presidential race would qualify for the a place on the stage and who would not. There are two methods of qualifying. One is to be above the 1% mark in polling in any number of national polls. Second, The second is to have a significant number of grassroots contributors.
Here’s the stage so far:
- Joe Biden – We already knew this, but I heard a rumor today that Joe has had an accusation of sexual harassment leveled against him. We’ll see what happens.
- Bernie Sanders – We knew this too due to his significant fundraising abilities.
- Kamala Harris – She has quite a following and polls very well.
- Beto O’Rourke – I remain confused about Beto. I loved him in Texas. I know he’s unconventional, but I’d love to hear him make a policy speech. He beat Bernie in fundraising. Get off the tables in diners, Beto, and make a speech already. You’ll win voters.
- Elizabeth Warren – I like her policy knowledge, but she’s a hard-core progressive. She knows her stuff. Would people like her enough so that she could beat Trump?
- Cory Booker – Could he command enough of the African-American vote? I like him a lot and he knows the landscape. Is he tough enough to beat Trump?
- Amy Klobachar – She meets the polling requirements. I like her, but she’s no progressive. More of a realist in today’s political climate.
- Pete Buttigieg – He’s gaining a lot of followers. His politics are probably the future of the Democratic Party. Could he possibly hang in there with Donald?
- Julian Castro – I’ve always liked this guy, but like Beto, he needs to make a big policy speech. He’ll do well in later primary states as the only Latino in the field. He’s polling now at the bottom of the field.
- Kirsten Gillibrand – She’s impressive when she speaks, but I’ve found it hard to get excited about her. Again, my dealbreaker is can she hold her own with Trump?
- Jay Inslee – The climate change guy. If he can roll climate change into a real platform, there might be someone to look at here.
- John Hickenlooper – Denver mayor. Moderate (I think). If anyone knows much about him, please share.
- Andrew Yang…..about whom I know nothing. I might do a post on him. Anyone know anything? Comments?
My wish for someone who could make a difference? Former Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe.